Connect with us

News

Thugs attack Ondo Monarch with matchette

Oluwatobiloba Emmanuel

Published

on

The monarch of Igbokoda, in Ilaje Local Government Area of Ondo State, Oba Afolabi Odidiomo,narrowly escaped death on Wednesday, as thugs from the communities attacked him with machetes.

Our correspondent learnt that the traditional ruler sustained several machete cuts on his head. He was said to have been left in a pool of blood by his assailants.

Thugs attack Ondo Monarch with matchette (HitNg)

He was reportedly holding a meeting with some high chiefs in the town when the armed men allegedly stormed the meeting and started shooting sporadically in the air to disperse everybody at the meeting. Once people fled, they pounced on the king, dealing him several machete cuts in the head.

A source who was in the town when the incident took place told our correspondent that the monarch’s driver,his aides and some other people who attended the meeting were injured as they fled. The monarch’s vehicle was also destroyed by the hoodlums.

The source said, “The thugs were armed with guns, machetes, knives and sticks. When they entered the venue of the meeting, they dispersed everybody by shooting into the air.

“Their leader led others to where the monarch was and started hitting him with dangerous weapons. They hit him in the head with machetes and cutlasses. They thought he was dead and left him in a pool of blood.

Read Also  Man Murdered To Death Over Missing Phone In Ogun State

“There was no security agents on the ground to repel the attack. While the incident lasted also, no security man came. The attack took place for almost an hour.”

Our correspondent learnt after the attack, the men of the Ondo State Police Command arrived at the scene and the monarch was rushed to a hospital at Igbokoda where he was resuscitated. He was later transferred to another hospital.

Speaking on his hospital bed, Oba Odidiomo explained that he had earlier visited the Mahin Kingdom in the council area with two other traditional rulers – Oba Philip Kalejaye and Oba Samuel Edema – to deliberate on a succession plan for the vacant traditional stool of Mahin Kingdom.

He alleged that one of the youths in the town identified as Tale Iwatan led the hoodlums to unleash terror on him, saying the leader of the group had earlier attacked him and his palace on several occasions.

The monarch said, “I came back to Igbokoda in the evening and visited one of the high chiefs of the town to brief him on the development and outcome of the meeting. But I hardly entered the room when Tale Iwatan stormed the meeting with a large number of thugs bearing different arms. They came with cutlasses, knives and guns.

Read Also  Suspected kidnap kingpin who allegedly killed British missionary, surrenders to army in Delta state

“They shot sporadically in the air to scare away people and I came out to meet about five of them. I immediately called the police in the town, but before the policemen could arrive at the scene, which is only a stone’s throw from the Nigerian Naval base in Igbokoda, the hoodlums had mobilised more men and attacked us.

“Those who attacked us were about 20. They surrounded me after injuring others. One of them stabbed me directly in the back of my head after shooting in the air many times. As if that was not enough, one of them used a cudgel to hit me in the head.

“I think they must have waited for about ten minutes to confirm if I was dead and their leader said I was dead and they all left. They destroyed my car as they left.”

The monarch said it took the policemen in the town 50 minutes before getting into the scene despite making a call for help.

He believed that some “powerful” people were behind the attack. According to him, Iwatan has been shielded from the law despite being arrested for alleged violent activities in the past.

He alleged that a similar attack was carried out by the same gang in 2014, when five people were killed in his palace, adding that all efforts to arrest and prosecute the leader of the gang have been frustrated by some influential people in the area.

Read Also  House of Representatives begin probe of major fuel depots

While expressing concern over the activities of the gang allegedly led by Iwatan, the traditional ruler appealed to the security agents and the state government to check their violent activities by bringing them to book.

When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Femi Joseph, confirmed the incident.

He disclosed that two of the hoodlums had been arrested by the command.

Joseph also confirmed that the kingpin of the attack was Tale Iwatan, who according to him was already wanted by the command.

He said, “The incident occurred at about 5pm on Wednesday while Iwatan led some four other notorious thugs in the town to where the monarch was holding a meeting.

“The kingpin has fled and we are after him. The two suspects in our custody are helping us in our investigation.”

He assured that the hoodlums would be brought to book, adding that normalcy had returned to the coastal community of Igbokoda.

Source: ( Punch Newspaper )

Oluwatobiloba Emmanuel founder of HitNg Ent. Certified Web designer, Computer-Internet Enthusiast. Believes in Creativity. Always Visit HitNg For Latest Naija Entertainment.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Those who destroyed Nigeria are now acting like saviours – Lai Mohammed

Oluwatobiloba Emmanuel

Published

on

Lai Mohammed HitNg


Lai Mohammed who is the minister of information has said that Nigeria did not get to its present position in three years that the All Progressives Congress (APC) came into power
Independent reports that the minister made this comment when he received Andrew Hanlon the chief executive officer of TVC.

He said:

“We are on a rescue mission. However, the way a section of the media is reporting the challenges facing the country today does not reflect that understanding. They are making a corrective administration to look like the culprit, to give the impression that the rain started beating us in Nigeria only from 29 May 2015, to play down the challenges that this Administration has faced and which it is successfully tackling.
“For example, we did not get to where we are today in just three years. It has taken successive decades of bad governance, unbridled corruption, lack of probity, a culture of impunity and a near state of anarchy. These are the ills this Administration inherited and which it has set out to tackle. And this is what the media must reflect in their reporting.”
“Instead of recession, we could have had a total collapse of the economy. The power grid could have collapsed
“Altogether. Corruption could have overwhelmed the society. Boko Haram could have turned Abuja to Bama or Konduga. Food imports could have tripled what it was pre-May 29th 2015 and the Naira might have been worse hit.”
He called on the media to educate Nigerians ”that it is hard to build but easy to destroy, that the same people who presided over yesterday’s looting of our treasury are today posing as would-be saviours of Nigerians, that this Administration is rebuilding almost from the scratch with 60% less revenue, that the corrupt ones are spending millions of Naira to paint the government of the bad, and that Nigeria is not returning to Egypt”.
He said: “This administration assumed office, the price of oil, the mainstay of Nigeria’s economy, had dropped to around $30 from over $100, foreign reserves stood at a low of $24 billion, the Federal Government was borrowing to pay salary, some 27 states were owing arrears of salary, contractors were being owed over several years, infrastructure was in poor state, power generation was 2,690 megawatts, billions were being paid as ‘fuel subsidies’ to fat cats, corruption had emptied the treasury while 20 of the 27 local councils in Borno were under Boko Haram control.
”Today, the trend is being reversed and the results are showing: Foreign Reserves is now $42.8b, inflation has fallen for 12 consecutive months to 15.13%, 108 billion Naira has been saved from the removal of maintenance fees payable to banks pre-TSA, the nation is saving 24.7 billion Naira monthly with the full TSA implementation, the elimination of ghost workers has saved the nation 120 billion Naira, capital inflow reached $1.8 billion in the second quarter of 2017, almost double the $908 million in the first quarter, while Nigeria’s stock market is one of the best-performing in the world, delivering returns in excess of 40 percent.
”Nigeria has also jumped 24 places on the World Bank’s Ease of Doing Business ranking and earned a place on the List of Top 10 Reformers in the world, the Administration has repeatedly given bailouts for states to pay salary, the Administration’s Agricultural Revolution is a huge success, with agriculture export up year-on-year by 25%, rice import from Thailand dropping 644,000 megawatts to 22,000 megawatts and rice farmers growing from 5 million to 12.3 million, the Home-Grown School Feeding Programme has created jobs for 61,352 cooks, and it is providing 6.4 million school children in 33,981 schools across 20 states with one meal a day.”

HitNg.Com.ng had reported that Mohammed said that Nigeria, under President Muhammadu Buhari, is very safe and
being run by competent hands.
Mohammed gave this assurance at a mini town hall meeting with the staff of the Nigerian Embassy in Madrid, Spain, and a cross-section of Nigerians living in the European country on Saturday, February 17, Premium Times reports.

Read Also  Another 249 Nigerians return from Libya, more expected

Hitng.com.ng gathered that Nigeria’s ambassador to Spain, Susan Aderonke Folarin, led the staff of the embassy to the town hall meeting, which was held at the embassy premises.

Continue Reading

News

Donald Trump ranked worst US president of all time

Oluwatobiloba Emmanuel

Published

on

President Donald Trump has been ranked as the worst U.S. President in history in a Presidents’ Day poll of political scientists that ranked all 44 of the people who have served as U.S. president.

Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Teddy Roosevelt respectively took the top four spots in the Boise State University “Presidential Greatness Survey.”

While Donald Trump is the 45th President, one of his predecessors, Grover Cleveland, was elected two separate times, making him the 22nd and 24th President, who ranked as 24th on the survey.

Read Also  Nigerians react to photo of woman kneeling before Akwa Ibom lawmaker

The experts were asked to rank each president on a scale from zero – worst – to 100 – best – based on their overall performance in office.

Their rankings showed that Donald Trump came in last place with an average score of 12.34.
Coming in first place, according to the survey, is Abraham Lincoln, who scored an average of 95.03 between both Democrats and Republicans surveyed while George Washington got a rating of 92.59.

Read Also  Drama as Nigerian Senator, Biodun Olujimi orders aide to slap staff | staff allegedly slaps her back

Just over 57 per cent of those polled identified as Democrats while 13 per cent were Republican and 27 per cent were Independents.

The top seven presidents that have remained the same since the poll was last conducted in 2014: Lincoln, Washington, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Theodore Roosevelt, Thomas Jefferson, Harry Truman, and Dwight D. Eisenhower.

In the latest round of survey, former president Barack Obama moved up in the rankings to 8th best president, compared to 18th he ranked in the 2014 survey.

Read Also  Another 249 Nigerians return from Libya, more expected

Even Republican respondents rated Trump as the fourth worst president – 40th of 44th while they placed Obama as the 16th.
The study, conducted once every four years, asks researchers from the American Political Science Association to rank each president’s greatness on a scale of 0 to 100, with 0 representing total failure and 100 for greatness.

Continue Reading

News

$11.489m: EFCC rejects Patience Jonathan’s settlement offer

Oluwatobiloba Emmanuel

Published

on

Patience Jonathan, former Nigeria first lady aim to settle out of court the dispute between her and
EFCC over the strange payment of $11,489,069.03 into her domiciliary accounts has been rejected.

Read Also  Tears as unknown gunmen kill 6 in another Southern Kaduna attack on Christmas Eve

TheNation reports that EFCC refused and insisted that she appears before a court and enter a plea bargain in line with the laws of the land, noting that this is the only way the court will be carried along.

Continue Reading

Trending